Sports

$4.1m for Team Fiji to Rio Olympics

Minister for Youth and Sports Hon. Laisenia Tuitubou today confirmed the government is providing Team Fiji with $4.1million to the Rio Olympic games. The funding will cover preparation and participation for Team Fiji to the Rio games. $3.8 million allocated from the $4.1 million will be towards Team Fiji’s preparation. Out of the $4.1 million allocated […]

Staff Writers

February 10, 2016 12:50 pm

Minister for Youth and Sports Hon. Laisenia Tuitubou today confirmed the government is providing Team Fiji with $4.1million to the Rio Olympic games.

The funding will cover preparation and participation for Team Fiji to the Rio games.

$3.8 million allocated from the $4.1 million will be towards Team Fiji’s preparation.

Out of the $4.1 million allocated to the team 91% or 3.8million is allocated for the teams preparation while the remaining 9% or approximately $344,000 will be allocated for the teams actual participation at the Rio Olympic Games.

Team Fiji is expected to be represented by a total of  89 members, being that 53 are athletes and 36 team officials.

Mr. Tuitubou informed Parliament that the team was preparing to participate in 11 sports.

Team Fiji is expected to be represented by Archery, Boxing, Judo, Shooting, Swimming, Weightlifting, Rugby 7’s Men, Rugby 7’s Women sporting teams.

Mr. Tuitubou said that some teams were still going through qualifying rounds.

The Oceania Games held in May, will see the Swimming and Weight lifting sporting teams go through qualifying rounds to the Olympics and this includes athletics.

The Fiji Association of Sports and National Olympic Committee [FASANOC ] requested the funding of $5 million for Team Fiji. Minister for Sports said that the government is providing a significant cost of the application.

The Minister said that there was an agreement between FASANOC and the Government on the funding of Team Fiji.

The agreement between FASANOC and the government is that the government provide 1/3 of the budget of Team Fiji to the Olympics.

Minister of Sports went on to say that Fiji is hopeful for a first gold medal in the Rio Olympics from the Rugby 7s Men team. He added that the government is ready to provide support to the rugby 7’s men coach Ben Ryan.

Fiji will be hosting the upcoming Swimming and Weightlifting Championship in May from a separate budget allocation.

What do you think? Leave a comment below.