TC Winston

Winston: 10 lives lost so far, many more injured

National Disaster Management Office Director Akapusi Tuifagalele confirmed ‪Tropical Cyclone Winston has claimed the lives of ten people around the country. Director Tuifagalele told Newswire the number of deaths was expected to increase as many people were trapped under fallen roofs and walls during the height of the monster cyclone. A man in Ba died […]

Peni Shute

February 22, 2016 10:01 am

National Disaster Management Office Director Akapusi Tuifagalele confirmed ‪Tropical Cyclone Winston has claimed the lives of ten people around the country.

Director Tuifagalele told Newswire the number of deaths was expected to increase as many people were trapped under fallen roofs and walls during the height of the monster cyclone.

A man in Ba died after excessive loss of blood.

The man is from Namau, and is suspected to have gotten hurt from a broken louvre blade that fell on him.

Director Tuifagalele said they have confirmation of a man dying in Koro, two in Ovalau, one in Qelekuro in Tailevu and one from Ra.  Five people have been injured and they are from Kade Village in Koro.

Director Tuifagalele said they are currently in a meeting to assess the damage left by TC Winston, the meeting will end at midday today.

Local media reports that houses in Kade village have been destroyed including the church, school and community hall.

Evacuation centres around the country have been activated with the Central division having 65 evacuation centres with 1077 occupants, the Northern Division has 12 centres with 41 people, and the Eastern Division has six centres with 116 people while the Western Division has one with 20 people.

The National Disaster Management Office said for the Northern and Western Division, they are still doing their rounds and an updated figure on the number of activated evacuation centres and people in them will be provided later.

The public curfew was lifted at 5.30am this morning with public transportation now in operation.

Bus operators have been informed to provide services from today.

The Fiji Electricity Authority has started restoring electricity supply, some parts of the Central division now have electricity.

The Water Authority of Fiji (WAF) continues to assess the damage caused by Cyclone Winston that could affect a number of its customers Fiji-wide.

Chief Executive Officer, Opetaia Ravai said that they are still awaiting feedback from other parts of Fiji presently cut off from communications.

Assessment teams have been deployed from regional headquarters. Of immediate concern are those living in the areas listed below that are now experiencing a major disruption caused by a technical problem a result of a power outage last night at its main reservoir. It is expected to take up to a week for the full water supply to return to normal. Water carting is now in place for those affected

Tropical Cyclone Winston is believed to be the most powerful cyclone to hit the Southern Hemisphere.

What do you think? Leave a comment below.