National Sports Day to focus on eradicating NCDs
The Ministry of Youth and Sports in collaboration with the Ministry of Health have joined hands in this year’s National Sports Day to help eradicate non-communicable diseases (NCD) which is now a burden on the national bills. Minister for Youth and Sports Hon. Laisenia Tuitubou said the objective of the celebration is to engage half […]
June 20, 2016 9:24 am
The Ministry of Youth and Sports in collaboration with the Ministry of Health have joined hands in this year’s National Sports Day to help eradicate non-communicable diseases (NCD) which is now a burden on the national bills.
Minister for Youth and Sports Hon. Laisenia Tuitubou said the objective of the celebration is to engage half of Fiji’s population which is about 400,000 to participate in the day event.
He said this will also include tourists and visitors who are in Fiji on that day.
Hon. Tuitubou is asking on the nation to come out in numbers and part take in the event.
TUITUBOU: “The day will be used to promote physical and sports activities as a tool to promote health and well being and to address non-communicable diseases. The theme ‘Resilient Healthy Community though Sports for a Wealthy Fiji’ is based on the use of sports as a to rehabilitate our communities after the devastation of TC Winston and to also acknowledge the resilience of our communities in the face of adversity.”
The Sports minister said that public servants are taking the lead role through the committees coordinated by the Ministry to organize inter-ministry sports in the eight centers of Suva, Lautoka, Labasa, Nausori, Sigatoka, Rakiraki, Kadavu and Ovalau.
The ministry will support community sports programs and also those organized by the Ministry of Health in Taveuni.
This will be the second year that Fiji is having the National Sports Day.
The Sports day will be held this Friday the 24th of June 2016.
Sports Programs that will be organised on the day are as follows:
Community sports programs:
- Vuna, Taveuni with Ministry of Health
- Labasa with Fiji National Sports Commission
- Nabouwalu with Fiji National Sports Commission
- Lau Provincial Youth in Suva
- Lakeba Tikina ni Tubou in Lau
- Gaunavou Youth in Yaroi Savusavu
- Naweni 7s in Naweni, Cakaudrove
- Buca Bay Sports Day
- Nukubolu/ Nakawaga Sports Day in Cakaudrove
- Wailevu West Youth Cluster in Cakaudrove
- Naganivatu Youth in Naitasiri
- Wainibuka Tikina Youth Sports Day in Tailevu
- Roshneel Youth Club in Nasinu
- Nawaisomo Village Youth in Beqa
- Barara Youth in Lautoka
- Sanatan Convention in Cuvu Sigatoka
- Nakavu Volleyball Championship in Nadi.
Inter-ministry sports programs:
- Suva- USP grounds – to be opened by his Excellency the President
- Lautoka- Nadovu Park – to be opened by the Minister for Youth and Sports
- Labasa- Shri Gur Nanak Secondary School – to be opened by Assistant Minister for Youth and Sports
- Nausori- Nausori Primary School – to be opened by Commissioner Central
- Sigatoka- Lawaqa Park – to be opened by General Manager Outrigger Resorts Hotel
- Rakiraki- Penang Sangam School to be opened by Mr George Shiu Raj
- Kadavu- Vunisea – to be opened by Permanent Secretary Youth and Sports
- Ovalau- Levuka – to be opened by Director Youth and Sports.
What do you think? Leave a comment below.