President highlights Government’s achievements
The President Major-General (Ret’d) Jioji Konusi Konrote gave an address at the opening of the Parliament 2017-2018 in Suva today.
September 4, 2017 2:55 pm
In his speech, the President outlined some achievements of the Bainimarama government:
- A constitution that has been “acclaimed internationally.”
- 2014 elections were “well-run and eminently credible by international standards.”
- Fiji Elections Office and its Supervisor’s conduct “won them international acclaim and recognition.”
- Fiji’s “eight consecutive years of economic growth.”
- Fiji “reputation among development partners and international financial institutions has never been stronger
- Fiji is one of five countries in the Asia Pacific region where “inequality has in fact decreased.”
- Unemployment figures lowest in 15 years
- Education, health and welfare benefits “extended as never before.”
- Government benefits “put more money in the hands of the lowest-income Fijians.”
- Public education “is now truly free.”
- The Free Medicine Programme provides medicines free
- Income-tax exemption to the first $30,000
Major-General Konrote also previewed a list of legislative changes the FijiFirst government will work on before the next elections.
What do you think? Leave a comment below.