Fire

Labasa fire leaves family homeless

A wooden and corrugated iron house of a 42-year-old farmer of Vunilogologo Settlement, Nasaqa outside Labasa was completely destroyed by fire with its content on Thursday morning. Police spokesperson Inspector Josaia Weicavu said the 42-year-old farmer and his wife were working outside their home when the fire started. WEICAVU: “Fire is alleged to have started […]

Nacanieli Tuilevuka

June 18, 2016 9:48 am

A wooden and corrugated iron house of a 42-year-old farmer of Vunilogologo Settlement, Nasaqa outside Labasa was completely destroyed by fire with its content on Thursday morning.

Police spokesperson Inspector Josaia Weicavu said the 42-year-old farmer and his wife were working outside their home when the fire started.

WEICAVU: “Fire is alleged to have started from their bedroom where their 4-year-old daughter was playing using a gas lighter that is believed to have set the books and mattress in flames.”

Inspector Weicavu said no one was injured in the fire.

Inspector Weicavu wishes to reiterate that gas lighters and matchsticks are not toys to be played with.

WEICAVU: “Parents and guardians are again asked to practice fire safety at home at all times. Most structural fires are caused by the occupant’s mere negligence in not adhering to fire safety messages. Time and again we have been advising members of the public to be careful of children from playing with matchsticks and gas lighters. Children are to be told and warned time and again on the danger of playing with matches and lighters, that it’s not a toy but a destroyer, a killer and demolishes of our hard earned efforts and dreams.”

What do you think? Leave a comment below.