Police

Child in hospital after drinking kerosene from juice bottle

A 1-year old is admitted at the Labasa Hospital after drinking kerosene in Labasa yesterday. Police spokesperson Inspector Josaia Weicavu said the flammable liquid was kept in a juice bottle placed in the kitchen. Inspector Weicavu said the incident happened when the child’s mother was breastfeeding her 9-month-old baby. WEICAVU: “It is advisable that kerosene and other chemicals are not […]

Nacanieli Tuilevuka

May 16, 2016 10:39 am

A 1-year old is admitted at the Labasa Hospital after drinking kerosene in Labasa yesterday.

Police spokesperson Inspector Josaia Weicavu said the flammable liquid was kept in a juice bottle placed in the kitchen.

Inspector Weicavu said the incident happened when the child’s mother was breastfeeding her 9-month-old baby.

WEICAVU: “It is advisable that kerosene and other chemicals are not to be filled and kept in fizzy drinks bottles to avoid such incidents from happening in future. Dangerous goods such as kerosene, janola, fuel, weed killers and herbicides are to be locked and kept away from the reach of children.”

“Parents and guardian are advised to be more careful and to see that chemical safety is practiced at home for the safety of everyone, especially children.”

Police Investigations continue.

What do you think? Leave a comment below.