CENSUS 2017: Fiji’s population is 884,887 with 69% below age 40
The Fiji Bureau of Statistics has completed the 2017 Census and has published detailed and updated statistics on Fiji’s population and population distribution by age, sex and geographical location.
January 10, 2018 2:18 pm
The Census also contains statistics on unemployment, financial inclusion and other demographic categories.
Key highlights from the available statistics are as follows:
- Fiji’s total population stands at 884,887 compared to 837,271 in the 2007 census. This is an increase of 47,616 or 5.7 percent. The average annual population growth is 0.6 percent, due to low birth rates and out-migration.
- The median age of the population is 27.5 years. This means that half of our population is below the age of 27.5 years.
- 69 percent of Fiji’s population is below the age of 40.
- Men make up 50.7 percent of the population while women make up 49.3 percent. While the proportion of males was higher below the age of 59 years, the female population was higher in the age groups above 60, indicating greater female longevity.
- 55.9 percent of Fiji’s population resides in urban areas, an increase from 50.7 percent in 2007. The urban population stood at 494,252, an increase of 69,406 (16.3%) from 2007. This is attributed to the extension of town boundaries and also due to movement of people from rural to urban areas.
- 44.1 percent of Fiji’s population resides in rural areas, down from 49.3 percent in 2007. Rural population stood at 390,635, a decline of 21,790 (5.3%) from 2007.
- The unemployment rate was down to 4.5 percent, the lowest recorded in 20 years. This is lower than the 5.5 percent unemployment rate estimated from the 2015-2016 Employment and Unemployment Survey.
- The Labour Force Participation Rate (labour force/ population aged over 15 years) is 57.1 percent.
- 62.7 percent of the population aged 15 years and older reported to having a bank account. This represents a total of 392,148 individuals.
- 13.7 percent of the population aged three and above reported at least one functioning challenge (disability). The international benchmark is 15 percent.
In publishing the available statistics, the Government Statistician thanked all those involved in conducting the 2017 Census and compiling the statistical information.
“Thank you to the Fiji Bureau of Statistics, the enumeration team, our development partners and the general public for supporting the 2017 Census and for contributing toward this important national exercise. We hope the statistical information provided goes a long way in helping the Fijian Government formulate and implement policies that have the greatest possible impact for Fiji and the Fijian people,” he said.
Full information on the available statistics can be found at www.statsfiji.gov.fj. Other information from the census is still being compiled and will be released progressively over the coming months.
What do you think? Leave a comment below.