29 charged with sexual offences in April, 6 month old baby youngest victim
Statistics released by the Office of the Director Public Prosecutions (ODPP) today revealed that a total of 29 people were charged in 57 separate sexually related offences in April this year. The offences were: Rape (41) Attempted rape (2) Defilement (1) Sexual assault (13) One person under the age of 18 years was charged with […]
May 2, 2016 8:30 am
Statistics released by the Office of the Director Public Prosecutions (ODPP) today revealed that a total of 29 people were charged in 57 separate sexually related offences in April this year.
The offences were:
- Rape (41)
- Attempted rape (2)
- Defilement (1)
- Sexual assault (13)
- One person under the age of 18 years was charged with two serious sexual offences.
There was one serious sexual offence that involved a 6 months old baby and the accused person was the biological father.
There were 26 victims of the 57 separate incidents. A total of 15 victims were under the age of 18 years, of the 15, there were 11 rape victims under the age of 18 years and five sexually assaulted victims who were also under 18 years.
- 14 sexual offences that occurred in domestic settings.
- A date rape drug was also used in one of the serious sexual offences.
Additionally, there were four counts of assault with intent to commit rape;
- 10 counts of abduction with the intent to commit rape and
- 1 count of murder as part of the act of rape. (NB: these statistics are not included in the statistics table).
- Two cases were discontinued before the courts after discontinuances (Nolle Prosequi) were filed.
*Please note that a number of rape victims, as well as victims under the age of 18 years, were also victims of other serious sexual offences. Similarly, a number of accused persons were also charged with more than one offence.
What do you think? Leave a comment below.