Investigation

Inquest file into man’s death in Lautoka fire to be sent to Magistrate

The investigation into the death of a 37-year-old man who was a victim of a house fire last month in Velovelo, Lautoka will be referred to a Resident Magistrate for inquest. In a statement, Police Chief of intelligence and investigations ACP Luke Navela said this follows the confirmation by the National Fire Authority (NFA) that the […]

Nacanieli Tuilevuka

July 18, 2016 11:16 am

The investigation into the death of a 37-year-old man who was a victim of a house fire last month in Velovelo, Lautoka will be referred to a Resident Magistrate for inquest.

In a statement, Police Chief of intelligence and investigations ACP Luke Navela said this follows the confirmation by the National Fire Authority (NFA) that the fire was not deliberately set and therefore is not a case of arson.

NAVELA: “Investigation findings by Police have also ruled out foul play.”

He said as is the case with all unnatural deaths, the investigation file once completed will be forwarded to a Resident Magistrate for inquest.

The Fiji Police Force is still waiting for the post-mortem report for the 37-year-old man who died in a house fire in Lautoka on Monday.

Police spokesperson Ana Naisoro said the cause of the fire is yet to be determined as investigations are still underway.

NAISORO: “For the burnt house we will  have to wait for  the post mortem and then the NFA (National Fire Authority) fire report, NFA will then determine what was the cause of the fire and we are again urging the general public to be cautious about fire hazards because not only it it a threat to property but also lives.”

The deceased was sleeping in his home with his 38-year-old brother and his 65-year-old father when their home was engulfed with fire.

A 37-year-old man of Velovelo in Lautoka died in a fire incident last night.

In a statement Police spokesperson, Inspector Josaia Weicavu said the deceased was sleeping in his home with his 38-year-old brother and his 65-year-old father when their home was engulfed with fire.

WEICAVU: “The house and all its content were completely destroyed. Attempt to save the deceased proved futile as the house was already swallowed up by fire.”

Inspector Weicavu said the National Fire Authority (NFA) officials and Police Forensics are still at the scene trying to ascertain the cause of Fire.

WEICAVU: “We wish to advise members of the public to practice fire safety at home at all times, especially at night.”

Police investigations continue

What do you think? Leave a comment below.